Thursday, June 17, 2010

Random World Cup Thoughts

Kind of surprised I waited this long . . .
  • I won't pretend to be a big soccer fan. But I enjoy this period every four years or so. Part of it is that I get into big international sporting events (like the Olympics). There is something to be said for the pageantry and passion that's involved. Especially since almost all the passion belongs to other countries and it's easy to just sit back and watch.
  • The World Cup happens every four years and I think it's kind of a shame that it falls in the same year as the Winter Olympics. What if we hold the next one in 2013 and then every four years after that? That would give us one large event three out of every four years. And I'm open to suggestions on the other year too.
  • There is literally one song in my music collection that ties into the World Cup. Live version of it here. Two things, 1) nobody writes 'wronged women music' better than Kristy MacColl and 2) if I'm ever crazy rich I will hire some Mexican brass to provide my own personal soundtrack and it will sound something like this.
  • I think I've mentioned this before but I can really dig live sports early in the morning. If the MLS wants to start playing 6a games, I might become a fan.
  • One of the real negatives to watching soccer in HD is that you can really see the flops. Absolute minimal contact provides seemingly fatal reactions. If you key a soccer players car, would it blow up?
  • Vuvezuelas. Early runner for word of the year, yes? There is controversy over whether they should be banned from the stadiums or not. I say let them use them. But if they choose to do so, please never award South Africa with another large sporting event.
That's all (though probably more in a few days).

No comments: