Thursday, February 02, 2012

Manners

Yesterday at Target we entered past half a dozen kids in various wheelchairs. Relia noticed them and loudly asked me why they had them. I told her that it wasn't polite to point at people in wheelchairs. Then I tried to explain to her that they might find it embarrassing but she really didn't understand me.
Later we passed one of them while we were grocery shopping. Just as soon as we were past she stage whispered "See! I didn't say anything about the wheelchair!". And when I say stage whispered, believe me, they would have heard her in the back of the house without any problem.
We turned a corner and when I thought about how my advice backfired I couldn't help but chuckle. Relia thought I was laughing at her and I couldn't really explain it well to her. Oh dear, you'll learn. You'll learn.

No comments: