Saturday, January 26, 2008

Date movie (video version)

While I'm driving home on Friday nights, I listen to the Hugh Hewitt show. They have a movie critic (The Unblinking Eye) on and each (well most) Fridays he gives a top ten list. Each week the list is themed and last night was Top Ten First Video Dates for Men. Not first date, not first movie in a theater but the first one where you sit next to each other on a couch and watch a rental.
The subject was a difficult one and he did the best he could. He acknowledged that women are too unique to have some kind of catchall movie list for them. The Eye's suggestion was to have the lady bring the movie while the man cooks. The list?

10. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)
9. When Harry Met Sally(1989)
8. Notting Hill (1999)
7. Far From Heaven (2002)
6. The Philadelphia Story (1940)
5. The African Queen (1951)
4. Some Like It Hot (1959)
3. It Happened One Night (1934)
2. Casablanca (1942)
1. The Notebook (2004)


The FP Gal and I talked about this last night and we tried to remember what the first video we watched together was. We think it was 'Zoolander'. If you know my long term aversion to Ben Stiller, you know that I must have been in love.
I'm curious what movies other couples have watched as their first. I think for Hans and Rachel it was 'Blackhawk Down' but I'm not sure. Anyone else?

3 comments:

MamaD4 said...

I've always thought "A Few Good Men" was a great first sit-on-the-couch together movie. The story is good and there's no sex, not even kissing, which as we all know can make newbie couples a little squirmy. I'm not actually sure that I could watch this anymore because Tom Cruise is just so completely ruined for me.

carrster said...

Steve wanted to rent TERMINATOR 3 on Valentine's Day for our first movie...I persuaded him to get SERENDIPITY instead.

Steve said...

So I Married An Axe Murderer.

We were actually on the tail end of a bad double date (the other couple had issues) when we decided to rent a movie. Micah and I went to the video store and I suggested the movie. I was surprised when she agreed to the mindless comedy vs. something romantic until we got to the counter and she handed me 2 copies. We sent the other couple packing with their own copy. I don't really remember the movie.