Sunday, January 13, 2008

Death to New York!

After watching 'I Am Legend' this weekend and while looking forward to 'Cloverfield' (and I am looking forward to it), I started to wonder how many movies have destroyed New York. The reasons why so many directors choose to do it is easy.
  • It's full of recognizable landmarks for destruction.
  • New Yorkers love to see themselves so they'll go to see it.
  • People outside of New York enjoy watching them suffer so we'll go see it.
Anyway, I ran across this list (with YouTube clips) of the top ten destructions. Also found an Op-Ed arguing that these movies are good for New York. That might be true, and I don't know when this trend will stop (if ever).
I'm guessing that Tokyo is the second most destroyed city, thank you Godzilla. I have no idea what third place would be but if I was guessing, it would be San Francisco.

No comments: