Monday, March 03, 2008

Phoning China

One of the oddities of my job is that I occasionally have to call people in other countries. This can be troublesome since I only speak one language reliably. In fact, it's worse than that, as I've got a terrible ear for other languages and am completely lost if they speak with anything nearing a normal speed. Add in the fact that I have the power to completely hose up some innocent person's travel plans and you've got a bad recipe.
Well, not all bad. It can be kind of cool. Last week I called Luxembourg. Twice. (They spoke perfect English both times but still...)
Today I got a call from a man for whom was English was obviously not his native tongue. He was booking travel to Hong Kong and then to Shenzhen. Once he arrived there he'd be staying at the Sunshine Hotel (which looks like a nice place).
Our system wasn't offering the correct corporate rate and I had to call the hotel. As a rule, any hotel that caters to westerners in a large city will have some English speakers near the phone. The further you get from the beaten path, the less true that is. My hopes weren't high here.
Called over and got someone quickly. Talked to about five people before I found an English speaker. Each of the earlier ones tried to understand me but couldn't. This final guy seemed to be doing better.
We talked about the dates and the price. I told him which company the discount was with and he found it quickly. Then he asked me the name of the guest.
"Last name, Trinh. T-R-I-N-H."
Repeats back but last few letters hard to understand.
"Trinh. Tango-Romeo-India-November-Hotel."
"No, Sunshine Hotel!"
After much confusion we got it figured out (I hope). He gave me a confirmation number and I was all set to go. Then I asked for his name.
"Henry."

As I said, these calls can be troublesome. Mr Trinh, good luck with your reservation. We tried our best and I hope it ends up being somewhere near correct.

No comments: