Monday, July 14, 2008

Favre (again)

Yes, I know but I'm finding this whole thing fascinating. Kind of like watching a train wreck.
  • Best Favre quote: "Them moving on does not bother me," Favre said. "It doesn't. I totally understand that. By me retiring March 3rd, I knew that could possibly happen. All I was saying is, you know, I'm thinking about playing again." Just to be clear, when he retired, he knew there was the possibility that the team could move on. Either he thought that the team would fold up after he left or he doesn't understand what the word 'retire' means.
  • He also feels that the Packers pushed him into rushing a decision. How many years has he been going through this? Three? The Packers understandably wanted a clear answer from him. That's the only way they know what to do for the rest of the season.
  • The team apparently asked him for a list of teams that he'd accept a trade to. He hasn't given them one and instead wants to be released and become a free agent. That suggests to me that he wants to go to a team that the Pack wouldn't be happy with. Could that be the Bears or (gulp) the Vikings? Naw. Couldn't be.
  • The Packers have told Rodgers that he's the guy this year and they want to stick with that. Understandable. This is the sticking point. This would show that management thinks the team is more important than anyone player. Laudable, but in this case misguided. The solution is pretty simple. Keep Favre on the roster and announce that out of respect for all he's done for the team, let them compete in training camp. If the old man can do it (and he should be able to) than you go with him. If Rodgers leaves the team in a huff when his contract is done, so be it. He's an unproven player and Favre is the best QB you've ever had. This should be a tough choice.

1 comment:

Meigan said...

Peder, I feel your pain on this one. I love Brett, but I'm way more loyal to the Packer franchise than just one player (did I fall another notch because of my blatent misuse of "way" just then?).

As a manager of a business team, I totally respect what management is saying to him right now. I'd be the same way. There are rules & principles & one man does not a team make. Move on, buddy. If you need ideas on what to do in your retirement, I can fax you a list.

*sigh* The worst part of it all is that it's left such a bad taste in my mouth that I no longer have a celebrity fantasy. What to do, what to do.