Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Alarm news

This is a sad story, but one that ends with hope and possibly a buzzer.

Back in the dark days of 1985 I had my first job as a paperboy. That's right, I was out there delivering the Herald, sometimes even to the correct houses. Didn't really like the job but the money was good for an eleven year old.
The biggest purchase I can remember was an alarm clock. The thing was a beauty. Dual alarms. Option to wake up to radio. Two settings for brightness. It even had a (new to me) feature called 'snooze'. That clock went with me everywhere. I've lived in twelve different places since then and my one constant companion was the one waking me up with the radio.
But as happens, it started to show it's age. Specifically, the button that lets you change the hour became harder and harder to use. You'd push and you'd push and finally it would agree to work for you. Every time our power went out, even for a minute, I'd struggle to reset the darn thing. Struggle only begins to describe it. Near the end, I was using other tools to try and bypass the button. Not a pretty picture.
And not one that the FP Gal was happy with. So she did something about it and bought me a new alarm clock. This one is fancier and you can even wake up to a CD instead of trying your luck with the radio. She bought it at a Goodwill, and the story is that it's previous owner was somehow killed in a bizarre clock radio/Indian burial ground/curse of the mummy type thing but I'm sure nothing bad will come of it.
Rest softly, old alarm clock. You'll never have to stir yourself at 6a, ever again.

5 comments:

DD4 said...

At first I thought this was going to be a story about Hans. I don't remember you having a job delivering the "Herald." How old were you?

Peder said...

Well, according to the post I was 11. That was the year that you were drinking alot.

MamaD4 said...

Darn, I wish you would have called us. We have at least three good alarm clocks in the basement. When I met Hans, I'm thinking the alarm clock he had was probably one from years ago, but that one finally broke too and since then, he's been a very frivolous alarm clock buyer.

Donna...drink?

Alfred T. Mahan said...

Hmmmm...I seem to recall Hans scheduled his classes for the afternoon for some reason. Even his NROTC ones. I did not know the reason why back then.

Perhaps the mystery has been solved.

carrster said...

I thought my alarm clock was old - it only dates back to the fall of '91 when I went away to college. That thing has been in at least 14 different domiciles of mine! Still kicking!