Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Dark Knight - 2008

Short review, it's a very good movie, Heath Ledger was amazing, and if you think you'd like then you should go. You can read more glowing reviews almost everywhere, I thought I'd just list some criticisms (SPOILERS to follow).
  • The movie is too long. They should have focused on one villain only and set up another for the next movie. As it was the ending felt tacked on. It could have (and should have) been at least twenty minuted shorter.
  • Christian Bale is nice and dark but at no point did I care about the character Bruce Wayne. Don't know if I'd blame the acting or the script but there you have it. The same thing is true of his girlfriend played by Maggie Gyllenhaal.
  • Batman should really be larger than life and he never really comes off that way. The actor isn't really well seen and when he is, he looks stiff. His combat technique is mostly about absorbing blows rather than avoiding them.
  • I've seen some praise suggesting that this is the best of the latest superhero movies. I'd say that Spiderman 2 was better. The third XMen movie might have been better too.
Ledger really deserves another mention. His portrayal of the Joker outshines even the Nicholson version. Dark and twisted and capable of great violence. There's been some talk of an Oscar nod and it wouldn't surprise me. He absolutely steals the movie. It's a shame that he's gone, far too young.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SILI(saw it,loved it). The movie was long but I thought it stayed on the gas the whole time. And just when I thought there could be a place to end the movie, there was still one hour to go.

About Keith Ledger. One word...WOW! He is a beast of an actor in this one. He made me believe he was The Joker. The Joker was VERY creepy and could cause some to have nightmares. So use caution if you take your kids to view this one. That said I can see Oscar buzz. Another thing, I wouldn't have known that the Joker was played by Keith Ledger if no one said anything.

I have to admit that I don't know a lot about Batman in the comics. I've heard some say his demeanor come very close in this movie and others say the opposite, that this Batman was too nice, unlike the comics.

I'm was little slow to make the connection that, correct me if I'm wrong, The Dark Knight is a continuation of Batman Begins, which I'm going to watch again.

OK I done for now. Love to hear your thoughts.