Saturday, October 03, 2009

Closing the Dome

Nice article from ESPN on the Twins leaving the dome for an outdoor pasture. I think some fans here in Minnesota are fond of the place because it belongs to their team but overall it is a pretty miserable place to watch baseball. Get ready for some glowing praise next year after fans get a taste of the outdoor stuff. It's kind of like the difference between sunbathing on the beach and using a tanning bed.
Relatedly, here is a post from Shysterball who looked up some of the news coverage that the Metrodome got when the Twins started playing there in '82. Click through to find out what perk then owner Griffith mentioned that the private boxes would include. Let's just say that a modern owner wouldn't have said this.
Lots of history at the Metrodome, to be sure, but they really are moving to a better place.

1 comment:

DD4 said...

I, for one, have enjoyed games in the Metrodome. I guess I like knowing the game won't be delayed due to our ever-changing weather, and that I haven't had to come in a snowmobile suit to watch the Vikings play in December.

I have two Homer Hankies from World Series games and other good memories. Hopefully I'll be able to add another soon.