Monday, October 26, 2009

Held Hostage

The kitties are holding us hostage.

Really, they are. It goes something like this. They want to be fed first thing in the morning (and afternoon, evening, holidays, etc.). If they can wake one of us up then they get fed. The FP Gal is good at sleeping through their nonsense but I must sleep more lightly. For awhile their strategy was to howl in the hallway. I'd be afraid that they'd wake Relia and get up to feed them. Because waking Relia is what it's all about.
We can ignore them but we can't really ignore baby screams. When she wakes up, we're up. At some point that will change but for now it's true. So if they can wake her by howling then we have to get up and they get fed.
For a while I tried locking Ozzie in a different room but he has to have litter box access or things go badly. Then we started closing our bedroom door but that brought two problems. We like having the kitties sleep on us. And Sana can sometimes open the door all on her own. Smart kitties aren't necessarily a good thing.
This weekend they added a wrinkle. They opened up Relia's door. Saturday morning the FP Gal woke to hear Relia talking to the cats. She caught up with her trying to feed them downstairs. Very clever, no?
This morning they tried something a bit different. Relia whimpered a bit and called out for me around 5a. I sat up and started to dress. She quieted and I got back into bed. The kitties asked me to get up but I ignored them. So they went to work on her door again. She must have thought that one of us was coming in and soon enough Relia was trying to open the door on her end. Mission accomplished and I had to get up.
At some point she'll be able to get up, get her own breakfast and find an episode of Sesame St on the Tivo. Until then the kitties have us at their mercy. Ugh.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Oh dear. It's just a matter of time before she does indeed, get up and feed them. Ha! Parenthood. Love you!

carrster said...

We've started locking both cats in the basement all night. That's where the litter is, we've put food down there and I can stop being woken up by them or by them waking up Dahlia. I miss sleeping with them, but I value sleep, period!