Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Sharing the Moon

Relia is somewhat fascinated with the moon. Maybe it's because we read 'Goodnight Moon' to her for the last book. Anyway, whenever she spots it in the sky she makes a big deal out of it. About a month ago I was taking her out to the car in the morning when she proudly told me that she'd seen 'my moon'. I asked her if it was Daddy's moon too and she agreed that we could share it. Since then we've had many mornings where she calls out for her moon and then reminds herself that it belongs to everyone.
This morning was one of those. There was a pretty good moon in the western sky. She talked about it on the walk to the car and then kept an eye on it while we were driving. When we were most of the way there she noticed it appearing to move over the houses to our right. She said, "The moon is going to daycare with me! Look, it's flying!". It was simply adorable.

5 comments:

Kate said...

I call my Grandma every single full moon, every month of the year. It's a fascination that we share. We talk about the names of each of the moons and I am always reminded that she is the one that taught me about nature and loving the seasons. It's a wonderful thing we share. If you want the list of the names that we talk about, I can email it to you. I have it tacked on my refrigerator in her handwriting. It's something I never want to forget about her.

DD4 said...

Yes, Aurelia is really sharp and I'm happy she is friends with the moon.

carrster said...

That's awesome. :) Dahlia loves the moon too & is fascinated when she can see it during the day!

Test said...

Claire loves the moon too. It is her 'friend' and we look for it every day.

She was ever so excited with our moon this week since it was so big and bright.

She misses it when it is not around. Amazing.

Alfred T. Mahan said...

Ever since she was able to kinda-sorta speak, my niece Klara has *also* had the lunar fixation (she called it "Mr. Moon" for a looong time), and, thanks to her grandfather (my dad), she has her own reflector telescope to play astronomer.

When she got it two years ago, she called him for three weeks straight every night to describe what the moon looked like right at the moment, except when it was "gone".