Saturday, February 06, 2010

Snow in DC

Apparently our nation's capital is enjoying something of a winter storm. News reports suggest up to 30 inches of snow will have fallen by the end. My mind is mixed on this...
  • Part of me wants to laugh at their inability to deal with some snow. Two feet of snow would be a pain here but we'd deal with it (and somehow it wouldn't be a big news item). Of course they're not prepared to clear the streets like we are.
  • The libertarianish side of me wishes we could somehow reproduce this during weekdays and throughout the year. It would cause less damage in the long run.
  • The travel agent in me is tired of big winter storms hitting the east coast. It screws up so much. The DC area is an important domestic hub for US Air and one of the biggest departure spots for international flights. (Off hand I'm guessing IAD is 4th behind JFK, EWR and ATL.) Lots of people are going to be stuck.
This type of storm always reminds me of the one big blizzard I lived through in Colorado Springs. Don't remember the exact figures but it was probably a foot of snow, strong winds and temps in the teens. Here in Minnesota we would have stayed in for most of one day and then dug and continued on with our lives. Not so in Co Springs!
You must understand that almost no one that lived there was actually native to Colorado. Huge amounts of Californians and Texans moved into the area while I was there. They seemed to think that 4X4 cars made them immune to snowy and icy roads. Not so good.
The other weird thing was how they dealt with their cars once they ran off the road. They simply left them there and waited for the snow to melt. I am not making that up. The storm hit on a Friday night and by Tuesday the drifts were mostly gone and every car was recovered. Can you imagine doing that up here?
So good luck DCers! Remember that the snow will be gone soon and you can back to your normal routine. The groundhog said so.

2 comments:

Alfred T. Mahan said...

My sympathy for the East Coast on this is almost nonexistent, frankly. They laugh at the Midwest behind their hands for being uncultured bumpkins, but we're a lot more prepared for this sort of problem than they are, so I'm going to engage in some serious schadenfreude.

Besides, as you pointed out, it shuts down the government, so it can't be that bad.

Kate said...

Well, I have a pretty big DC following on my blog and for most of them, this is a once in a lifetime thing and that makes me happy, actually.