Thursday, May 19, 2011

Overheard (Star Wars Edition)

This morning we watched a bit of the 'robot movie' (i.e. Star Wars) at Relia's request. We haven't watched it for some time so she had some questions.

Relia: And who are those guys?
Me: They're called Jawas.
Relia: (pause) Did your mom teach you that?
Me: Uh, no, I don't think she did.

Last night at dinner she told us that she hates Star Wars because everyone at preschool goes on and on about it. The FP Gal told her that her parents enjoy it and then I told her that it had robots in it. She decided that she might give it a try.
If my math is correct I was just about the age she is now when Star Wars first came out. I have dim memories of seeing it at a drive in though I also remember watching the next screen over which either had 'Jaws' or 'Smokey and the Bandit'. (Wikipedia tells me that it must have been Smokey because Jaws came out in '75. Unless, well, did drive in movie theaters show two year old movies back in the 70's?) Anyway, this feels a bit like a baton has been passed.

2 comments:

Sarita said...

I think it was the mention of a Princess that really got her on board.

DD4 said...

I was watching the other screen when we went to see "Star Wars" at the outdoor theater, too! I never knew this about you!!