Saturday, May 21, 2011

Stormy

We have had some thundery, stormy weather here today. Enjoyable all, save for the part where I was driving Pagoda when the wipers stopped. That wasn't fun at all. Tonight we've had some of that low rumbling in the distance stuff. We also had that last week and (what fun!) it was accompanied by a tornado warning.
The FP Gal came upstairs and got me from work so that I could join her and the kids in the basement. This meant that DF was awoken and it completely screwed up Relia's bedtime. Good times all.
So there we were huddled in the basement wishing for a radio and all I could think of was the London Blitz. I was reading Connie Willis's books 'Blackout' and 'All Clear', a story of time traveling historians who go back to London in 1940 and have to deal with the Luftwaffe and nightly bombings.
Think about that situation for a moment. Every night they would hurry off to shelters. Each time they would hope that their spot wasn't hit. Every morning they would wait to see who of their co-workers, friends or family were still with them. And they carried on through all of it. Stiff upper lip and all that. It beggars my imagination.

I'll stick with the tornadoes, thank you very much.

No comments: