Sunday, May 15, 2011

Overheard

In the car the other day after preschool:

Me: What did you learn about today?
Relia: We learned about what stuff is in our heads.
Me: Like what?
Relia: There is a pink gum in there. But you can't eat it. Your head doesn't open the right way. [Note: I think she is talking about the gums around the teeth but I could be wrong.]
Me: Oh.
Relia: Also, our brains are in there.
Me: And what do they do?
Relia: They send sig-inals to your hands and feet and tell them what to do.
Me: Yep.
Relia: And they get sig-inals from your eyes and ears too.
Me: Very good.
Relia: And that's what is in your head!

5 comments:

DD4 said...

Brilliant!

Anonymous said...

WOW. Where does she go to preschool? (I don't really need to know the name...I know that would be strange) Is it a Montessori one? Mine only goes 2 days for 2 1/2 hrs and I swear she isn't learning anything. There curriculum is "Learn through play"

Sarita said...

She goes to preschool at the daycare she has gone to since she was 6 weeks. When I tell anyone I know in education, that they are teaching 3 & 4 year-olds states & biology, they bug their eyes out in surprise and laugh. I think her preschool is run a little more toward the elementary school side than I would like. I'm not sure some of the things they do are appropriate for her age. But Relia eats it up, so I'm hesitant to complain.

I believe there is so much value in just playing with other children. At this age, they need to pretend to be grownups and dinosaurs, play at the water & sand tables, color and sing. (Letters, shapes, colors & numbers should be in there too, but not drilled) Any child who has attentive, highly educated, parents will most likely not need anything else.

Sarita said...

I think Montessori, when they really adhere to it is a wonderful program that develops creative and independent learners. If I could scrape up the money, I'd go get trained in it right now.

Kate said...

Sig-inals. I want more sig-inals in my brain.