Monday, August 04, 2008

Cruise stuff

  • Weather reports for next week have us in the 60's and 70's and I'm sure we'll have rain. Pack accordingly. My sense is that the temp drops quite a bit at night while at sea (any comments, Hans?) so if you plan on doing any star gazing make sure you're prepared.
  • The 11th (next Monday night) is the peak of the Perseids. This is one of the better meteor showers of the year. If we have clear weather we should have a good view. Not sure how much of a factor the moon will be and of course full dark will be later than we're used to.
  • The FP Gal found a pretty good set of lists for what to pack on the trip. My rule of thumb is to underpack and then cope once I've got there. Your rules may vary.
  • Here's a set of webcams for Juneau. It looks awfully beautiful up there. In the same vein, here's the Juneau newspaper online. If you want a feel for what's going on up there, this is probably your best window.
  • Remember to relax and breathe deeply. This will be tons of fun!

7 comments:

Meigan said...

Juneau was so much fun. Ride the cable cars up the mountain if you can - they were closed due to fog when we were there.

I posted some pictures of our Alaska trip on my blog - you're bringing back so many great memories!

Meigan said...

Oh - and are you going on a whale watch? I highly recommend it. We saw so many humpback mamas with their babies, beautiful bald eagles everywhere, and seals. Fun!

MamaD4 said...

I wish Hans had the same packing philosophy as you do Peder. He does underpack, but he doesn't cope, he goes out and buys a bunch of new stuff! Like the time we saw the Red Sox play in Boston and he was cold and neglected to bring a jacket. Me...I'd suffer through it rather than spending money on a new jacket. Hans...went to the shop there and dropped $90 on a Red Sox jacket that he wore that ONE time. I will, however, admit that it WAS very cold there. Why can't I remember the name of the Red Sox stadium? Help!

Peder said...

Rach, it's called Fenway.

Hans said...

I would definitely bring at least a windbreaker for being out on deck at night. It can be cold at that latitude no matter what time of year it is. It can be windy at sea, too. If you're cold, though, you can always buy something on the ship - that's my philosophy. Also, try not to fall over the edge. No good can come from that.

DD4 said...

Oh, how I wish Hans, Rachel, Josiah and Annika were coming along. I'll think about them every day - especially when we "stop on a dime."

MamaD4 said...

Oh sweet Lord. Not the "stop on a dime"...please.