Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Essential Movies of the 80's

More from here. Here are the 80's, a decade I remember fondly.

Indiana Jones, Raiders or the Lost Ark - A slam dunk of a pic. One of the finest adventure movies ever.
Raging Bull - A very impressive movie...but I wouldn't call it essential. In fact I'd be surprised if I saw this on someone's shelf. It really isn't a take it down and watch it each year type of film.
The Breakfast Club - Maybe the top teenage movie of the decade. A strong choice.
Do The Right Thing - Never saw it but I've heard good stuff.
Batman - Eh. I know it was a big deal back then but it's really faded since.
Glory - A very good film.
Blade Runner - The strongest of the arty sci-fi films. Now it comes in 14 different versions.
Tootsie - One of my faves from the decade.
Sex, Lies and Videotape - Haven't seen it. Never heard this strong of a recommendation for it.
Das Boot - Seriously? This movie lasted for an entire tour of service.

Ok, my list would be a bit different. In no particular order:

Raiders of the Lost Ark
ET
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Say Anything
Die Hard
Dead Poet's Society
Bull Durham
Back to the Future
Witness
On Golden Pond

What did I miss? (Upon rereading this, I've only got five of my own 'essential' movies. Time to update the wish list...)

5 comments:

Hans said...

Let's see...
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Top Gun
Aliens
Talladega Nights

MommyLisa said...

Peder - I like your list better. Except Dead Poet's Society bummed me out. Put Tootsie in its place.... ;)

Sex, Lies, and Videotape was dumb.

Kate said...

Dead Poet's Society and Raiders of the Lost Ark. Those are the only ones I saw and liked.

My parents took us to see ET and it freaked me out. Super freaked me out. I was scared of the dark for months. What the heck?

Alfred T. Mahan said...

You don't like Das Boot?

Shame on you.

On Golden Pond? To shamelessly steal a quote, seriously? Boooooring. And this from the classic movie snob.

carrster said...

How about "The Princess Bride" and "Big" - two of my 80's faves.