Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Youth and branding

I enjoyed this post from Shysterball about his letting his boy pick out his first baseball cap.
Stopping by Lids at the mall, I pointed him towards the kids' hat rack. Though Wahoo [Cleveland's controversial cartoonish Indian mascot] was well-represented, there were multiple options available, so I liked my chances. And thankfully he didn't pick Wahoo. He picked Spongebob Squarepants.
The next day he narrowed the choices to baseball caps. The choice was...unfortunate. You'll have to read the piece to find out why.
Still, I can't help but wonder when we're going to go through this process on our own. I'm kind of assuming that my zealous fandom will bleed over but I could be wrong. If we stay here in Minneyota my children could very well be Twins fans. I hope they'll cheer for the Vikes with me. If they go Cubs or Packers they are dead to me and that's all there is to that.

Um, I'm not the only one who thinks about this stuff, am I?

No comments: