Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Oscar Nominees

The Oscar nominees were announced today. Last year I said that the Best Picture films were a 'dreary list'. This year is a more conventional set. You've got your war film ('Letters from Iwo Jima'), your English film ('The Queen'), your mob film ('The Departed') and your quirky comedy ('Little Miss Sunshine'). Don't really know what 'Babel' is about...hmmm...guess it's about an accident that looks like terrorism.
Neither the FP Gal nor I saw any of them so I don't really have any opinions about them. The best movie I saw was 'United 93', which got a Best Directing nom. Didn't even see any of the animated ones. What's wrong with me? Is this what...old age feels like?

6 comments:

MamaD4 said...

The only one that Hans and I saw was "Little Miss Sunshine" and just thinking about it still makes me giggle. A little offbeat, but it has some genuinely funny moments. I just asked Hans if he'd seen that LMS had been nominated and he shook his head...well, maybe not OSCAR worthy, but still a really cute movie.

Peder said...

I can't help but think if it's this year's 'Sideways'. A good, funny movie that people won't remember 10 years from now. I really wish that the Oscars would just divide comedy and drama so that they can honor these films in a more real way.

carrster said...

Little Miss Sunshine is great. I really loved it. I think it's nice when Oscar can recognize films that are not necessarily HEAVY, DRAMAS WITH LARGE ORCHESTRAL SCORES AND DIM LIGHTING, ya know? Check it out, Peder, because I think you guys would like it! Steve & I were laughing so hard during one part...heh - it still cracks me up.
(haven't seen any of the others but was happy to see Ms. Streep's nod for The Devil Wears Prada as she was fantastic.

DD4 said...

I saw "The Queen" and at the conclusion said Helen Mirren deserves an Oscar for that performance. I also saw "The Devil Wears Prada" and thought Meryl Streep deserving. It should be interesting to hear. . . and the winner is:_____________!

Brian said...

My co-workers say Little Miss Sunshine is great. I saw Departed. I thought it was a good movie, not oscar though. I agree with the drama and comedy split.

Peder said...

We'll be certain to check out LMS.