Sunday, August 12, 2007

Colussus of Rhodes


The Colossus is probably the most obvious of the ancient equivalents to match up. The original was a huge bronze statue of Helios, the sun god. The statue was built at the harbor of the isle of Rhodes. Accounts vary, but they think it was about 100 ft tall, made higher still because it was on a 50 ft high pedestal. The statue only lasted a little more than 50 years when it was dropped by an earthquake. The residents decided against rebuilding it because the Oracle of Delphi convinced them it was a bad idea. The remains lay around for some 800 years until they were sold as scrap.

Tall statue on top of a pedestal dominating a harbor? What does that sound like? It sounds like the Statue of Liberty to me. A gift from France, it was presented in 1886. Liberty is about twice as tall (counting both statue and pedestal). She was a gift from France in 1886. The statue is the most recognizable symbol of New York City and has served as a symbol of freedom throughout the world.

2 comments:

Hans said...

I've spent a week in the harbor at Rhodes and caught myself constantly looking at the entrance of the breakwater, which is still there and looks similar to the picture. I'll bet it was amazing when it was there.

DD4 said...

I haven't had the privilege of going to Rhodes, but I have been to the Statue of Liberty a couple of times - once when I was in 5th grade, and once with Hans. I think she is awesome, and I love her symbolism.