Saturday, August 25, 2007

Thoughts on our first night alone

  • We're past the first big hurdle and made it through the first night. That's a big deal and it was the first thing that said we could really do this on our own.
  • I think we were both terrified that she wouldn't make it through the night. Is that common? I bet it is.
  • There was a long period of wakefullness from about 3a to 5a. Around 6a, the FP Gal called her folks over to help us out. Having grandparents nearby is incredibly helpful.
  • Why was she awake? Don't know. She was fed enough. We changed her. We walked with her and sang to her and nothing worked. She'd settle down for a few minutes. Then we'd hear some cooing. Then the crying. Tonight we'll try a half dozen other things until we find something that works.
  • From what I understand what I just described is completely normal.
  • So far we've been able to find a good balance between whose turn it is. Both of us can sleep through the crying if it's not our turn. We're a team and that's what it takes. (I think. This is all new territory to us.)
  • We kept the cats out of the bedroom and that will be the way it goes for awhile. They're still getting used to having her around. Ozzie is a little more brave but he's not sure what to do with her. Sana still wants life to go back to the way it was.
  • Here's hoping that night number two goes a little smoother.

5 comments:

Test said...

honey, claire is nearing 2.5 months and she still wakes up most of the night. she has the witching hour of 3a-5a once a week at least. despite being dead tired i find myself making up kooky songs and rocking her. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

pete and i spent the first night with our heads at the bottom of our bed listening to claire breathe. I am finally getting to the point where I don't always wake up with the first grunt of the night :)

Sister David said...

Ryan and I are happy to hear that you "survived" the first night!

You probably know about this trick already but,here goes. When the baby was in the womb, she could hear Sarah's heartbeat. Let Aurelia's head rest over your heart and it may soothe her back to sleep. It worked for my nephew when he was a baby.

~Carrie

carrster said...

Let me know what works, because I'm taking copious notes. I am already feeling anxiety and I won't have this problem for several months yet!

Test said...

Carrie's trick is like magic. That is by far Claire's favorite sleeping position - she will go for at least an hour longer if not more sleeping on mom or dad. Great napping position for the day as well :)

Badger said...

Congratulations, De Fors! What a beautiful baby. I laughed so hard at this post because Scuba and I pretty much freaked out for the entire first week Sam was home. I think we called our nurse hotline about 12 times in 2 days. You're in for the adventure of your lives!
Congratulations again--Gen and Steve Theobald