Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Another book list!

Boy, it's been awhile since I've posted one of these. This one is from Robert McCrum of the Observer (I have no idea who he is either) posting his list of the top 100 novels of all time. The top books are mostly older books which makes sense as classic novels are ones that stand the test of time. The top ten:
Don Quixote - Cervantes (lots of fun!)
Pilgrim's Progress - Bunyan
Robinson Crusoe - Defoe
Gulliver's Travels - Swift
Tom Jones - Fielding
Clarissa - Richardson (never heard of this one)
Tristam Shandy - Sterne
Dangerous Liaisons - De Laclos
Emma - Austen
Frankenstein - Shelly
Hugo doesn't make the list and that probably invalidates the entire thing. The only Rushdie on the list is 'Haroun and the Sea of Stories' which I haven't read but I'll put it on my must read list. I'd estimate about 90 of these have been made into movies. Yikes! I've only read 11 of these. Can anyone beat that?

4 comments:

Brian said...

I think I have read 6...

j said...

25 for me.

carrster said...

17 for me although there are some in there that I *might* have read that I can't remember...because they were SOOOO GOOOD.

Lots on there I have never heard of. Makes me think I should brush up my reading list a wee bit.

Alfred T. Mahan said...

At least twenty-five, thanks to high school English classes. Not a bad list, really, except for Things Fall Apart. I loathe that book.