Saturday, August 11, 2007

Seven Wonders - Modern Equivalents

The ancient list of Seven Wonders was created sometime in the 400's B.C. The original lists are lost in the mists of time but they're referenced by later writers. The list was pretty well set in stone by the sixth century A.D. These were the top tourists spots of the ancient world. Kind of a set of sites that the educated and wealthy should go to.
The recent list (that I blogged about) shares some of the same traits as the old one. The focus was more on old sites rather than contemporary ones. The list was also heavily influenced by the voting process which encouraged ballot stuffing. What I'd like to do is to do is to talk about what sites are most similar to the ancient ones. Hopefully you'll find it interesting. As always, let me know what I missed or if there are better matches than what I found.

No comments: