Sunday, August 05, 2007

MASH - 1970

This is the movie that launched the TV show and is one of the rare instances where the spin-off is better regarded than the movie. Remember when I described 'Catch-22' as a series of MASH scripts? Well the movie is the same way. This movie couldn't be more episodic. It's a series of stories 8-10 minutes long. Characters are introduced but not really developed.
I'm sure this movie was hugely popular with the military when it came out. It pokes fun at the command structure and celebrates the counter culture of the time. Best quote from the movie:
Hot Lips: [about Hawkeye] I wonder how such a degenerated person ever reached a position of authority in the Army Medical Corps.
Father Mulcahy: He was drafted.
Did I like it? Eh. It was ok, but nothing special. Director Robert Altman works for real life type movies. That means lots of people talking over each other which I find frustrating in a movie. Sub-titles were a must. The story? It's maybe been ruined by years of watching the TV show. It was nominated for Best Picture so it must have been good back then, but it didn't do anything for me today.

2 comments:

Hans said...

Yeah, this is another boomer movie that is way overrated in my book. I'm not sure why it's still on AFI's Top 100 list still.

Peder said...

It's number seven on AFI's funniest movies list. It must have been funnier in it's own day or something like that.