Monday, February 18, 2008

Cabaret - 1972

I think I've mentioned before that I'm a Netflix user. Most of the movies in this project have been watched through their good services. It's nearly impossible to find twenty or thirty year old movies at rental stores anymore. And the convenience factor is quite high. One thing that Netflix does is let you rate movies so that it can suggest related movies that you might like.
My Netflix account must think that I'm gay. Seriously, take a look at the last few decades of movies and treat them as a psychological profile. It's a good thing they don't know my occupation or there would be no doubt. Let me tell you, putting a Liza Minnelli film on your list doesn't help things.
How was the movie? I only watched the first half and was bored out of my mind. Minnelli is the showcased girl in a German cabaret. An Englishman moves into her boarding house and something happens. They meet another man and something else blah blah blah. I didn't care about the characters and the music left me cold.
AFI rated this as the 6th best musical. I've seven of the movies that it beat and I'd watch six of them again before this one, including 'Grease'. (The seventh is 'Chicago', which is part of this same family of musicals.)

No comments: