Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Movie lists? Why not?!?

(Via Althouse.) Here are a set of lists of all time greatest (and worst) Best Actors.

I remember thinking that Brando was overrated in 'On the Waterfront' (so was the overall movie). DeNiro was truly impressive in 'Raging Bull', very possibly the best acting job in Oscar history. Actually, the top ten is very strong with some all time greats. On second thought, Brando was overrated in 'The Godfather' too.
I've got lots of disagreement with the worst list. I liked Benigni quite a bit in 'Life is Beautiful'. I thought Hanks was wonderful in 'Forrest Gump'. Washington was also very powerful in 'Training Day'. On the other hand, I can't agree more that Nicholson's performance for 'As Good as it Gets' was overrated.
My sense is that the acting awards have been well nominated and awarded this decade but I haven't seen a lot of the movies. In fact, my sense is that (almost paradoxically) the acting has been top notch while the movies themselves have been forgettable (in a historical sense).
And Bill Murray was robbed for not winning for 'Lost in Translation'!

2 comments:

MommyLisa said...

I love that movie and you are right...Bill was ROBBED! T-bone hated "LIT", but he only has good taste in friends and women. ;)

Hans said...

Worst Best Actress? Halle Berry for Monster's Ball. Absolutely awful. Beyond awful.