Thursday, February 14, 2008

Thursdays with Relia

The day started out with a bang, or really just a lot of whimpering. Usually Relia gets fed around 6a. This means on a typical Thursday (my day off) she'll sleep until close to 8a. That means I can sleep until then too. This morning as the FP Gal was slipping out the door she told me that she'd fed around 430a. The baby calls the shots and we roll with the punches.
Lots of commotion from Aurelia around 7a and it was clear that there would be no sleeping in. I laid in bed and tried to gauge her level of activity. Could I take a shower without her screaming? I risked it. The answer was 'no' I couldn't get through a shower without screaming.
Got dressed and went to change her for the day. Yesterday we put her in her Cuddly Bunny outfit and hoped for the best. No such luck. Blowout! Quickly changed her out and cleaned her up. Looked at the clean outfits. Nothing simple, only the complicated ones were left. Did my best and got her dressed in something without feet.
Have you ever tried to put socks on an infant? How about that time frame where they realize that they can reach their toes and play with them? There really is no point. Estimated maximum time of sock stayage, 3.4 seconds.
Downstairs and it's now past 8a. Time for us to eat. Put her in the jumper so I could grab some breakfast but she obviously wasn't going to go for that. Ok, her bottle first and then I'd manage for myself. Only one problem, no clean bottles.
Ok, run some hot water and gather all of the bottles into the sink. I'll wash one quickly and then come back and get the rest. No worries. Well, one worry. In the bouncer, Relia has passed Defcon 3 and she's heading towards full out crisis.
Quickly got one washed and some milk into her. Much better. A little burping that turned into a nap session (almost for both of us). About an hour later she started stirring. Put her back in the bouncer and washed the rest of the bottles.
Now it's time to head off to the MOA. Get all ready and dressed. Wallet and other pocket essentials all set. Pick her up. Whoops, another blowout. Upstairs and clean her up again. Another outfit? While washing my hands in the bathroom I notice that one of her (simpler) outfits from earlier in the week is nearby. Clean enough? A quick inspection says 'yes'.
So. She is currently clean and dry. She has fed (I still haven't). We're about ready to go out to the Mall. Sharky, one word of advice, stay clear of us today. Daddy is not in the mood.

4 comments:

Alfred T. Mahan said...

You know, P, I don't really have to listen to my old Bill Cosby records any more; I can just see what travails the Wee One is putting you through...

carrster said...

ah yes, no schedule like the baby's schedule, eh? We're learning that at our house too. Ay yi yi.....

Meigan said...

Oh dear God. I just posted on your wife's blog the other day how cute your baby was & it was making me want another.

Just read this post & I quickly changed my mind back!!!

Men dressing babies is the funniest thing, no offense. I couldn't believe some of the outfits my hubby would put on the girls.

Peder said...

Well...there was a brief moment when I tried to find pink themed socks to go with her second outfit. I could only find one. I ended up going with orange on the theory that only I'd see them anyway.