Saturday, March 13, 2010

Lucky Boy

The time has finally come. Yep, we're going to reveal the name. If you remember this post (from nearly three years ago!) then this won't be a surprise at all. Our upcoming son will be named...

"Felix Drake:
From a Roman cognomen meaning "lucky, successful" in Latin. This was the name of many early saints and four popes. Felix is at an all-time popularity peak and is currently ranked #374 among the U.S. boys' names.

From a surname derived from either Middle English drake "male duck" or else from the Old Norse personal name Draki or the Old English personal name Draca
both meaning "dragon".
Peder and I had another name picked out, but I wasn't all that thrilled with it. (Rachel guessed that one too at Christmas: Christopher Wren) after many discussions we decided that we both liked Felix. I just liked the name and that it wasn't as common, and Peder liked that it had an "X" in it and that it is Latin for happy or lucky. No firm decision that that was definitely the name, just that we both liked it.

One day, a couple of weeks later, Peder emailed me saying he thought "Felix Drake" was a good strong name. I replied, "Drake? Like a duck? Later we laughed at the idea of naming our child "lucky duck". The longer we have been tossing it around, the more it has stuck to the point where I feel confident sharing. As terrible as it is that the name is a cute joke, we also know that only geeks like us would make the connection.

I also noted the alternate meaning: Lucky Dragon. Anyone remember Falkor the luck dragon from "The Neverending Story?"
"

Yep, we're sticking with Felix Drake. I've liked the name for as long as I can remember. Both because of the heavy cat vibe and because it's an uncommon, yet known name. It also gives us the very strange distinction of going with common Roman names. That wasn't a theme I ever would have guessed at. The full name is also similar to that of my favorite explorer. And I would never saddle a boy with the name 'Francis'.
Anyway, we love this name! And we think that our wonderful boy will love it too.

5 comments:

Kate said...

I love it. And I ALSO love that he will indeed, be a lucky duck!

Heidi said...

Fun! I like it very much. My nephew Felix!

Hans said...

It's a good, strong, solid name. I doubt he'll ever get the cat reference, though.

Alfred T. Mahan said...

I think it sounds great! You've got yourself a future 1930s pulp hero, Peder! :]

Test said...

Very nice! Our neighbor across the street is named Felix and it fits him to a 't'. Will be neat to see how your Felix grows into his name :)