Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Top Ten Simple Mind Songs

I've been thinking about writing this post for weeks, maybe months now. It occurred to me again this morning and I thought about giving it a whirl tonight. One of their songs came on the Music Choice channel and I took that as an omen. I mentioned this to the FP Gal and she said, "they have ten songs?". So. The gauntlet has been thrown down and I'm sentencing her to listen to each of these!

10. Someone Somewhere in Summertime (video) - This is the song about that perfect moment. Just you and her and the most special time. Beautiful and passionate.

9. Waterfront (video) - Probably my favorite opening bass line of all time.

8. American (video & lyrics) - Completely infectious tune.

7. Tears of a Guy (video) - Newest song on the list. Has more of their electronic sound.

6. Don't You Forget About Me (video) - The song that really made them big. It wasn't written by them and apparently they grew to hate it. This is their sound.

5. Rivers of Ice (video) - A love song. But not young love, this is a more mature one. Gorgeous lyrical imagery.

4. See the Lights (video) - A lost love song. The whole idea of a break up actually negating you. And yes, this song makes me feel 17 again.

3. All the Things She Said (video) - Not sure why but this song really gets to me. It might be the perfect conversational tone. Maybe, it's the hopeful lyric 'When I look into your eyes/I see a new day rising'. Just gets to me.

2. Let it All Come Down (video) - Close your eyes and lose yourself in the symphonic wonderfulness. Seriously, try it.

1. Alive and Kicking (video) - A perfect song. The piano bit in the bridge especially. Just wonderful.

2 comments:

Hans said...

The live version of Someone, Somewhere, in Summertime from their Live in the City of Lights album has been a favorite of mine for a long time. All the Things She Said is probably my all time favorite of theirs.

Peder said...

Hans, that whole album is full of gems. Easily my favorite version of DYFAM is there.