Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Quidditch Question

I'm rereading the Harry Potter books this summer and I've run across something that I just don't understand. It bugged me as I read the books the first time and it still bothers me. Why do they play so few Quidditch games during the year?
The four houses play one game against each other house for a grand total of six games during the year. Each team only plays three games. That's a bizarrely short season. In general the more games a team plays the less likely it is that pure chance would settle an outcome. Here a lucky snag of the Snitch would effect an entire third of teams games.
And it's not like teams seem to be so exhausted that they wouldn't have the energy for more games. Or that the schedule would be too demanding seeing as teams train several times a week as it is.
Is there any explanation other than 'it would mean too much writing about Quidditch'?

No comments: