Saturday, July 24, 2010

Yesterday

Sorry for the late posting yesterday. A combination of small things killed the time between waking and going to work. And then after work I went out to Afton State Park for an astronomy presentation from the U of M.
As an aside, don't ask Google for directions to a State Park. Or at least be a little bit skeptical and check up on it. Ran into a bit of trouble with road construction. That means two days in a row a trip to a State park was messed up with detours. I figured my way around this one and back on the plotted path. Which took me the side of the park, not anywhere near a real entrance. But I made it.
The presentation was well done for what it was. Two U of M grad students talked through a short slide-show about solar evolution. They were open to questions and the half dozen young boys in attendance kept them very busy. The students kept their cool which wasn't easy after the fourth time of being asked what would happen if you took a rocket into a black hole.
They had a telescope set up outside but clouds were starting roll in and we couldn't see much beside the full(ish) moon. Which really was a shame. I had hoped for some good deep sky objects.
Still it was a very welcome break from routine. Thanks to the FP Gal for giving me the night off! And maybe next time I'll have better sky luck.

No comments: