Thursday, May 10, 2007

First birthing class

So tonight was our first class. Our first lesson was an unexpected one; we can't possibly get from the FP Gal's work to the class on time unless traffic magically disappears at 6p. It's a good thing our teacher is forgiving.
We learned a lot, or at least I did. Who knew that there was something called a 'mucus plug' involved? And when it comes out, we don't need to bring it into the hospital. In fact we were urged not to. Repeatedly. Also didn't know that when the water breaks we will be asked questions about it's color, odor, amount and time of breakage. The teacher said that most women fear this breaking at an embarassing time and I can certainly understand that.
Tonight we learned about labor and how to tell when it's started and what we should do. Apparently I have to get a stopwatch and get the FP Gal's time in the 40 yard dash or something like that. I may have to reread that section. We also discussed ways to distract her during the early time. Any suggestions?
Got to watch a video. Not terribly bloody and we both got teary eyed at the time of the actual birth. I didn't realize that they came with a phone cord. It's 2007, don't we have cordless technology yet? The takeaway lesson for me is that women in labor can sometimes be a wee bit unreasonable. I'm sure that won't happen in our case but I'll try to be ready just in case.
Further updates as the situation warrents...

5 comments:

Hans said...

If you're really worried about her water breaking, you should cover your furniture with plastic.

Also, if you want to distract her during the early time of labor, try telling her the story about Chris going to the Source. That's a great one. Riveting.

DD4 said...

I'm already looking forward to reading your blog on the day your little darling is born!

I'm sure you will think of some way to entertain Sarah, the nurses, and all the other expectant fathers when the time comes.

MamaD4 said...

OK, I can't help myself. ALL the other expectant fathers? Peder, Sarah, is there something you want to tell us?!

DD4 said...

Okay, let me clarify. When my kids were born, the expectant fathers waited in a room especially for them. Is this not the way it is done any longer?

Peder said...

I think it's still that way Mom. We just sit in the other room and smoke cigars while waiting for all the trouble to be over.