Thursday, May 17, 2007

Random Thursday stuff - Consumer edition

  • We were out at the MOA last night and saw a large Japanese group of tourists. They all had the same bag so it was obvious they were all attending the same conference or whatever. We often forget that this place we go walking at is really a world famous tourist attraction.
  • Sad news from the same event, almost all of them were taller than me. When I pointed that out to the FP Gal she said that it had to do with cultural diet change and that the height difference is much less than what it used to be. I pointed out that I've had the same diet as they have but moreso. She said that my folks must not have taken me to McDonalds enough when I was young. FP Baby, we won't make the same mistake!
  • I hate to admit this, but I've somehow found a clothing store that I want to shop in. Every time we walk by Tommy Bahama, I see a shirt in the window that I'd like. I know that the style doesn't scream Minnesota but I really like it! Finally stepped inside last night to price a shirt. $110. That will probably cure me of that.
  • Speaking of the Mall, I meant to link to this story a couple of weeks ago. It's about a lady who moved here from New York and decided to investigate our consumerist society at the MOA. She started to make a piece of art by collecting a bag from each store. That wasn't as easy as she thought it would be so she had to start buying items so she could later return them. Not sure what lesson this has to anyone really. The article concludes:
    So far, no area gallery or museum has asked Williams to re-create her "Wall of Mall" in the Twin Cities. But if they do, she's ready: She still has all the bags in a cardboard box in her studio.
    I'm sure they'll be calling soon. (I don't really understand what influence 'statement' artists really think they have.)
  • On the way home, the FP Gal needed some fruit and wanted to stop at the grocery store. It was late and we always spend more money there than we should but how could I say no? Total purchases: strawberries, grapes, ice-cream sandwiches and two frozen pizzas. The pizzas were mine. They're a brand called Bellatoria and they're usually quite expensive, $7+ per pizza. Frankly I won't pay that much for a frozen pizza but they were on sale, two for one. Why do I keep an eye on them? They offer two of the most perfect pizza options ever: Garlic Chicken Alfredo and Chicken Fajita.
  • What else? Oh, I was finally able to buy my car today, only two days after the lease expired. Hooray!
  • That's it.

1 comment:

DD4 said...

Congratulations on the car purchase!
You could look for the Tommy Bahama shirts in a consignment shop, you know.