Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day

Every year on this day, this speech by Robert Heinlein to the Naval Academy comes to mind.
Patriotism — Moral behavior at the national level. Non sibi sed Patria. Nathan Hale’s last words: “I regret that I have but one life to give for my country.” Torpedo Squadron Eight making its suicidal attack. Four chaplains standing fast while the water rises around them. Thomas Jefferson saying, “The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed form time to time with the blood of patriots–” A submarine skipper giving the order “Take her DOWN!” while he himself is still topside. Jonas Ingram standing on the steps of Bancroft Hall and shouting, “The Navy has no place for good losers! The Navy needs tough sons of bitches who can go out there an WIN!”
I always feel a pang of regret that I didn't live up to that ideal myself, having never served. I guess the best I can do is to offer my thanks to the men and women who did. I'm fully aware that the life I lead and the country that I love is dependent on their work and the huge sacrifices that they've made. Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you.

No comments: