Thursday, March 26, 2009

Car troubles

I've made a few cryptic comments about this so I may as well tell the whole story. Back in 2003 I bought a Saturn Ion. It was the first year of that model make and I don't think I'll do that again. The car is a simple one and I've been mostly happy with it.
But it has a problem. Several times I've gone to start the car in the morning and it won't go. The starter doesn't turn over. When I turn the key again, nothing happens. This has only happened in the winter. Last winter I replaced the battery and I hoped that would solve the problem. Not so much.
Back in January I looked into replacing the starter. I googled around to see if this was a common problem with Saturn Ions. Guess what? It is!
Seems that on cold days there can be a problem with the starter. If it doesn't turn over the first time then some kind of security function goes into place and stops it from going again. You can't restart it for 8-10 minutes (or something like that).
Knowing all of this makes it manageable. On cold mornings I go outside and start the car about 20 minutes before we need to leave for daycare. If it doesn't start then I come back in and set the timer for 10 minutes. If it doesn't start the second time then I set the timer again. So far so good.
It sucks when I have to wait. Especially if it happens when we're out somewhere. But what can you do? It sounds like Saturn figured out the problem because the boards only talk about 2003-2004 models. Would've been nice if they recalled the part. This doesn't make me feel warm about buying from them in the future.

5 comments:

MamaD4 said...

My advice: buy a certified pre-owned VW. Extended warranty, years of proven dependability and fun to drive!

Sarita said...

Um, who replaced the battery?

Pat said...

I liked Sarah's comment. Made me laugh out loud. Give credit where credit is due. My gosh!! Is there nothing that lady cannot do.

Peder said...

My memory about the battery is that we 1) discussed changing the battery, 2) decided that I needed a new one, 3) employed some automotive elves to change it by leaving out a bowl of beer, 4) discovered a new battery in there.
What did I miss?

Alfred T. Mahan said...

You missed the obvious, Peder:

Step 5) PROFIT!