Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Greatest Living Actor

Interesting column from the Sports Guy in which he asks who the 'greatest living actor' is. He uses Oscar nominations to create a scoring system and comes up with an answer that surprises me: Meryl Streep. Don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning her ability, she's just not my cup of tea. Here is her movie resume. Glancing through it, I'm thinking the last movie Meryl Streep movie I saw was...'Death Becomes Her' in 1992. Can that be right? Anyway, here was his list of top actors and actress (read the article for explanation of the system):

Top 13 actors: Nicholson (38); Spencer Tracy (35); Laurence Olivier (32); Marlon Brando (30); Hoffman, Newman (29); Jack Lemmon (28); Peter O'Toole (24); Gary Cooper, Hanks, Penn (23); De Niro and Pacino (22).

Top 10 actresses: Hepburn (52); Streep (45); Bette Davis (41); Ingrid Bergman (29); Jane Fonda (27); Greer Garson (25); Liz Taylor (23); Jessica Lange, Sissy Spacek (22); Ellen Burstyn (20).

My favorite actor is probably Anthony Hopkins, who would score 14 points in this system. Kate Winslet has 18 points and is young enough that she could very reasonably take the top spot someday.
He also talks about why we don't need a movie hall of fame. I mentioned the need for one of those way back here. I completely disagree with him on this and I still don't know why no one has simply put one together. I mean if Cleveland can just make a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, then any city could reasonably do a movie one, right?

2 comments:

Kate said...

I think you should get right on that. You could make a killing.

And I don't like Meryl Streep at all.

Peder said...

Oh, I tell you Kate, I've got a dozen of these. If I had the money I could make some absolutely knockout tourist attractions.