Saturday, June 20, 2009

Blueberry dreams

You may remember that my dear sister bought me an ice cream maker last year. I made two batches of banana ice cream and nothing since. (The FP Gal has made some peach slush stuff but that doesn't really figure into this story.) Lately I've gotten the idea of making some blueberry ice cream.
I looked at the recipes that came with the maker and decided to modify the one for strawberry. It called for putting the fruit in a bowl with lime juice and letting it 'macerate' for a couple of hours. I could be wrong but I think that 'macerating' is how mother birds feed their babies and it didn't sound right to me. It also sounded more complicated than I really wanted to deal with. Then the FP Gal (who really is smart about this stuff) suggested that I use blueberry pie filler. Brilliant!
So I tried that and the ice cream is setting up as we speak. To be honest, I screwed up part of it. I mixed the heavy cream with the milk and sugar. It didn't really mix well and I'm pretty sure that the consistency will be a bit wonky. The good news is that I made a half batch so I could try over tomorrow if it just won't work.
The best part? I warmed up some of the leftover filler and had it ala mode. Very, very yum.

No comments: