Monday, June 29, 2009

Remember the walkman?

Apparently this is the 30th anniversary of the Walkman. (Hans, correct me on this but I think we got ours about 1984 or so...). Anyway, the BBC asked a modern kid to swap his I-pod for a Walkman and the results are kind of interesting. [Warning this brought home the generation gap to me in a way that almost nothing else really has.]
When I saw it for the first time, its colour also struck me. Nowadays gadgets come in a rainbow of colours but this was only one shade - a bland grey.
It took me three days to figure out that there was another side to the tape. That was not the only naive mistake that I made; I mistook the metal/normal switch on the Walkman for a genre-specific equaliser, but later I discovered that it was in fact used to switch between two different types of cassette.

He was also bugged by the lack of a 'shuffle' option. Man, that takes me back though. Combined with all of the Michael Jackson nostalgia it's like a mid 80's revival! Throw in some strap on roller skates and a Union Jack hat and the picture is complete.
And, upon reflection, that picture ain't so pretty...

1 comment:

MamaD4 said...

I still remember our first one (and yes, we had to share ours too). It had really cool bright orange earphone covers. We still have a discman floating around here. Everytime I find it, I think "Well, maybe Josiah or Annika would like to use it", but since they already love our iPods, I think it's time to part with it!

I actually feel a little sorry for that poor experimental kid. Tapes sucked.