Monday, June 22, 2009

The univited O

Let me start this post by saying that I know I have an unusual name. Well, unusual form of a common name. (And actually that isn't as true anymore. According to this it's the 183rd most popular for boys and falling. It's less common than it has been in the past 130 years.)
Anyway, I've long thought that people with unusual names need to be forgiving of misspellings. It isn't done on purpose. So when someone calls me 'Pete' or writes my name as 'Peter' it doesn't bother me.
But I do run into a misspelling that I don't understand. People often write my name as 'Pedor'. I'm not sure where the 'o' comes from. I asked a longtime coworker about this and she told me that she has trouble not spelling it with an 'o'. And she couldn't tell me why.
My current theory is that they get so freaked out by the 'd' that they completely biff the second vowel. But that doesn't explain why it isn't an 'a' or a 'u'.
Again, I'm not bothered by this. I'm sure it's an honest mistake. I just don't understand the phenomenon...

No comments: