Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Teething and a cold

Last night was not a good one on the sleeping front. I've had a cold coming on for the last few days and it choose yesterday to erupt. It's one of those head things where I feel stuffed up and stupid/dizzy. Good times!
We put Relia to bed about 9p and ourselves about 10p. It was my night and before we turned out the lights the FP Gal said a little prayer that we would get some easy sleep. Sadly that wasn't the case.
First time up was about 11p. I tried rocking her and putting her back in her crib. Not popular! There was screaming and howling and under the breath cursing. Relia was unhappy, too. We tried a bottle and that didn't work. Well, she ate a good 6 oz. but it didn't make her sleepy. Finally I brought her downstairs and let her sleep on my chest while I watched TV.
About 1230a back to bed. Next time I woke was about 3a, she was crying again and the FP Gal was getting up to help her. We caved and she came to bed with us.
Shortly after that it became clear to me that I was feverish. The first clue was a very surreal dream I had where I was frantically debating constitutional law with rabbits. (When I told the FP Gal about this in the morning she said that rabbits are noted for their legal skills. Maybe but it was more the 'frantic' part that convinced me.) The second clue is that the bed kept alternating between 40 degrees and 140. Finally about 430a I gave up and went downstairs to watch a movie. Back up at 630a to crawl into bed and salvage some of the night.
Somewhere in there I called into work and discovered that they didn't need me today, so that was nice. After Relia went to daycare I came home and crashed for a good three hours. There is nothing like a big bed all to yourself when you're not feeling well. (Well, kind of to myself as I woke up and was framed by a kitty along my leg.) After a shower I felt vaguely human. Sometimes that's all you can ask for.
After a low energy day and more sleep I feel better. Man, I'm dreading tonight though.

3 comments:

carrster said...

Oh suck! Sorry to hear you're not feeling well and 'Relia is going through teething. Hopefully tonight will be a good sleep night for you!!

DD4 said...

I'm sorry too. I didn't realize Aurelia was teething.

When we lived in Joliet, our doctor gave me this advise when Hans was teething: Buy yourself a bottle of whiskey. Put a little dab on Hans' gums. Then drink the rest. You'll never know he's teething! Of course, I didn't take his advise.

Here's to a good night's sleep.

Brian said...

Drugs are good...