Thursday, June 19, 2008

Godzilla and the Koi

Relia got her hot little hands on an open bag of goldfish today. She wandered around for about ten minutes just carrying it nicely. We thought it was adorable and didn't take it from her. (Experienced parents know where this is going.)
Yes, she overturned it all over the floor. How else was she going to get at the little fish? So there they were scattered in front of the couch smiling-back-at-her. And she was sitting there happy as a clam, picking them up and eating them. (Clam? That doesn't sound right. Shark? Sounds too harsh. What eats goldfish? Um, frat boys on a dare? Ok, there she was happy as a frat boy eating goldfish.)
After a few quick pictures, I got in there to try and pick them up. A brief discussion with the FP Gal and we decided that they were mostly salvageable. (Judge us if you must.) As they started moving away from her she quickly got up and took a few steps after them. Crunch! Crunch! Crunch!
Two morals to this story, no, three.
  • Don't let your children wander around with open bags of crackers unless they're old enough to keep from dumping them on the floor. Somehow we missed that one at our child classes.
  • When there are fish all over the floor you have to move very fast to get them up. Otherwise they turn into an orange powder. (Heidi, is this the motto at the Pike St Market?)
  • And three, parenting really is a two person job.

6 comments:

MamaD4 said...

My vacuum rarely leaves the living room area for just this reason. Even if I put the Goldfish neatly in little bowls for the kids, one of them dumps them out on the carpet and the other is a super-messy eater and gets crumbs all over.

It's dang near impossible to find a child's snack that isn't messy in one way or another!

Kate said...

Oh, I think I might have let her just crunch them all over the place and enjoyed the mess. But then again, I'm not a parent and it doesn't happen repeatedly. I'm such a naughty babysitter. I WILL corrupt your children...

MommyLisa said...

I agree with Kate, you should have enjoyed the mess and let her mash them Godzilla-style just once.

What a photo essay that would have been.

:) See what I let Marin do with Cake in my sidebar of my blog.

Heidi said...

This is where a dog who likes Goldfish crackers comes in handy!
I believe I have heard that moto at the Market. Maybe thats why we don't have much fish in the house.

Meigan said...

LOL! I agree with Heidi - get a dog. And I think the official age for giving a bag of crackers to kids is sometime after six. We still have those issues.

Cute picture though!

Miss A said...

What an interesting post! =D