Saturday, June 14, 2008

Tim Russert RIP

I've seen this type of comment all over the blogosphere, and it sums up my feelings too. I don't remember the last time the death of someone I don't personally know has saddened me like this. I used to watch MTP every Sunday and it was all because of Tim. (Honestly, try watching CBS 'Face the Nation' sometime .) He was tough and fair. Interview after interview you saw it. He'd display old quotes from politicians and force them to confront them. He'd show video clips that showed their contradictions. He could cut through the BS.
I think it was his fairness that most endeared him. If you saw him in limited action, you'd think that he would always vote against the party of his interviewee. If you saw him over a longer period of time, you knew that everyone got that treatment. He recently got a lot of heat from the left side of the aisle after he asked some of the toughest questions of the Democratic primary. Much of that criticism was short-sighted and once the heat of the primaries fade, I think that criticism will fade.
He wasn't tough just to be tough, he had a very obvious warm and human side. From his open love and respect of his father, to his rooting for his hometown Bills he always seemed like someone you'd love to sit next to at a bar or a ballgame. Every four years during election coverage he'd pull out a whiteboard and tally electoral votes. I hope NBC doesn't screw with that this coming November.
He was a man of obvious love for his passions. He found the perfect spot for himself and did his job better than anyone else. He'll be missed.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Thanks Peder, I feel the same way. I spent every Sunday morning with him for years and years and I already miss him. He was even a part of my pre-pre-game ritual during football season.

People often talk about the book he wrote about his relationship with his father, but if you get a chance, pick up the book he wrote after that one, it's called "Wisdom of Our Fathers" It's mostly comprised of letters and emails he got from people who read the other one. It's the kinda book, you can pick up, read just a few pages and relate to it, maybe learn something or get a good laugh and just go on with your day. It was the kinda thing Tim really loved.

Sunday Mornings and the televised news in general have big shoes to fill.

Chad