Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Workplace Read

Rachel mentioned it in the comments, so I thought I should explain more fully. Yep, on slow days I'm allowed to read at work. Always have to answer the phone and do other tasks, of course, but if nothing is coming to me I can kick back and crack a spine.
It's because my job is very seasonal in it's busy times. We go through periods where we need twice the staff we have. Then we go through times when we could get buy with a third of it. Sometimes both of those things happen in the same day.
Our management understands this and tries their best to cope. During slow times they actively promote unpaid time off. During the reallllly slow times they understand that card games will break out. The trade off is that they expect us to knuckle down during the active periods.
We hit the slow period a little early this year. Oh, a little weather problem and a closed airport will still have us jumping but we've had some pretty slow days already this summer. Last August I probably read about 2000 pages at work and that was with the last week off for baby. The best week for reading is the one between Christmas and New Years. You can get a solid 30 hours in if you're that committed.
Yeah, sometimes my job is pretty ok.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I too, have a job with very busy and very slow times. Our doctor goes to India/Pakistan/whatever third world country strikes his fancy on any given day - to do mission cleft lip and palate work, and when he's gone? Wow. I had no idea that being this bored would make me this sleepy and fat and BORING, myself. So now, I bring books or read books online.

MamaD4 said...

I wish the people I work for would let me read...sigh.

I have a couple of whip crackers here :)