Sunday, June 01, 2008

Top 100 Booklist

This list comes from Time magazine. It was published way back in 2005 and is the best 100 novels written since 1923 (when Time was first published. Before that there was only Space in the continuum.) (And no, I don't know if that last sentence was punctuated correctly but it's my blog and the editor says to go with it.)
Anyway, the list is here. They aren't ranked so I can't argue with their top ten or anything like that. I've only read 17 of them though I've seen the movie versions of another ten or so. There are a number of books that this list and others have convinced me must be worth reading. Among them:

Gravity's Rainbow
I, Claudius
Lolita
A Passage to India
Tropic of Cancer


Some lesser known books from the list that I'd highly recommend are 'Snow Crash' and 'Midnight's Children'. Both were written in the last 30 years and have not been made into movies. 'Pale Fire' probably fits into that category as well.

3 comments:

Alfred T. Mahan said...

If you read "I, Claudius", don't forget to read the sequel, "Claudius The God" by the same author.

Also..."Those damned barbarians have got my eagles!"

Meigan said...

Good luck with Pynchon - I found him very challenging.

I have DeLillo's White Noise. Great book. And Peder, you haven't read Lolita? Get on it! Before your daughter gets much older, I might add...

Peder said...

Just never got around to Lolita. I will soon.