Friday, May 15, 2009

101 Greatest Screenplays

It's been forever since I've talked about a movie list hasn't it? I just stumbled across a beauty of one. This is the 101 greatest screenplays as voted by the Writers Guild of America. The top ten (but do read through the whole thing):

1. Casablanca
2. The Godfather
3. Chinatown
4. Citizen Kane
5. All About Eve
6. Annie Hall
7. Sunset Blvd
8. Network
9. Some Like it Hot
10. Godfather II


Those are some pretty solid movies. The only obvious omission I see is 'Fight Club' but there might be others. Since this list focuses on writing rather than the overall movie it's a bit different than AFI's lists. I'd describe most of these movies as 'clever' and that's a pretty high compliment in my book.

2 comments:

Meigan said...

It IS a good list. I like all the nods to Woody Allen.

But no mention of Friday the 13th or any of the SAW series... oh well.

And Groundhog Day is 27? Aren't you the one that hates that movie?

Peder said...

Meigan, I actually like Groundhog Day quite a bit. Not sure who you're thinking of.