Saturday, January 03, 2009

Playoff picks

It's time for my annual playoff picks (non-sports fans, feel free to skip). My record at this isn't that spectacular, but some year I'll go a perfect 11-0 and be very proud of myself. As always, if you're going to risk money on this, go find someone more reputable.
First a word on the possible blackout of the Vikings game. Does anyone think that a blackout would be a possibility if the team hadn't fumbled seven times against the Falcons? If they'd won then, people would trust them (and they would have had another week of guaranteed playoffs to buy tickets in). I can't blame other fans for not buying tickets. I can't afford $60 to spend on a football game right now and my situation hasn't changed for the worse in the last few months. Anyway, it looks close to a sellout and my fingers are certainly crossed. On to the games:

All four games have very close spreads this week. That means that you should only pick a team if you really think it'll win. All four road games are favored, which is odd to say the least. There is only one of them that I feel good about...

Falcons (-1.5) at Cardinals
This one is purely based on how the two teams played over the last month or so. The Cards looked absolutely dreadful, especially in New England. They apparently wrapped up the division and decided to stop playing. Meanwhile the Falcons played in the toughest division in the NFL and played quite well to the end. The only thing that the Cards have going for them is home field advantage. I don't think that will be enough and I'm picking the Falcons to win.

Colts (-1) at Chargers
I'm surprised that the line isn't larger here. The Colts played a harder schedule and finished well. They are a complete team that is healthier now than at any previous time this year. The Chargers rallied from the dead to finish 8-8 and knock out the Broncos. I think last week was their emotional high point and they'll come out flat tonight. The Colts win going away.

Ravens (-3) at Miami
I've had a crush on the Ravens all year long. Their defense is very good and their offense has shown signs of life over the last month or so. The Dolphins are one of the best stories of the year and they seem to be grinding out wins. It wouldn't surprise me if this is the game that gets out of hand and the Ravens win by four touchdowns.

Eagles (-3) at Vikings
These are both Jekyll and Hyde teams. The Eagles can't win a close game and have played some really awful games like week 16 at Washington where they only scored 3 points in a must have game. The Vikings have played wildly undisciplined games, like fumbling seven times against Atlanta. Both teams have good defense, Philly has a better offense. If my heart wasn't in this, I'd go with the Eagles but I can't. I'll pick the Vikings.
I can see how the Vikes would win pretty handily. A turnover here or there, an injury to Westbrook or McNabb (not wishing for but wouldn't be surprised), a missed tackle leading to Peterson running wild. Any of those things could easily happen and give the Vikes momentum at home. They've grabbed that a few times, most recently with the Bears and it lead to dominating wins.

And for good measure, a flipping coin chooses:
Cards
Chargers
Dolphins
Vikings

1 comment:

Hans said...

Hopefully your coin flipping picks continue to be right as opposed to your actual picks (you got both of them so far).

Go Vikes!