Sunday, January 04, 2009

Vikes, eh

I hoped for a win (of course) but it wasn't to be. They played well, mostly. The offense just couldn't get anything together in the second half. And the defense broke on only one play. Well, the Jackson pick-six didn't help either.
Now is the off season and all of the usual questions. I think Childress comes back and I wish I could be positive about that. His coaching was better this year but you still never finish watching a game and think about how the Vikes played smarter than the other team. That goes against him in a big way.
They need, need, need to improve at the quarterback spot next year. If Jackson is still with the team he can't be the anointed QB without a good plan behind him. In fact I'd rather a decent veteran came in and pushed him into the backup spot.
They made the playoffs and they should absolutely treat this season as a success. I loved the defense and hope that it plays that well next year. You can see the pieces on the offense but that needs serious improvement. (Special teams killed them too but a large part of that was injuries and hopefully will improve without much tinkering.) They played seventeen games and won the division for the first time in eight years. I'll take that.

No comments: