Monday, January 12, 2009

Favorite vacations

Kate is asking about favorite vacations. Since my mind is desperate to get out of Minnesota, I'd like to indulge. Top five? I'll go in chronological order since I don't feel like ranking them.
  • Scotland - For four weeks in the summer of '91 my dad and I were in Scotland. He was working, I wasn't. We got to know some of the locals in Buckie. We spent a week in the granery of a castle at Culloden. I often walked around in the foggy midnight hours. Very nice.
  • West Coast - Back in September of '99, Jodi and I drove all the way from Seattle to San Diego. Went to Mt Ranier for the first time. Fell in love with the Oregon coast. Gawked at redwoods. Saw San Fran. Got very sunburned in San Diego. Learned that it's too big of a drive for one trip.
  • Hawaii - April of '00, again with Jodi. Kauai is just about the prettiest spot on the planet. And it has random chickens running all over it. I'd move there in a heartbeat. Got very sunburned on this trip too.
  • Mexico - Ah, Zihua... This was April of '05 and I proposed to the FP Gal. Saw gorgeous sunsets and had the best orange juice of my life. Helped cats get fed at a restaurant. Ate plenty of room service. Wish I was there tomorrow.
  • Paris - May of '05, man that was a busy year. What a wonderful city and I'll probably never go on as lavish a tour as that again. Must go back when I have more time (and the FP Gal).
Ok, back to reality. Ick.

3 comments:

Alfred T. Mahan said...

Having thrice read a book dealing with the Germans scuttling themselves after being interned at Scapa Flow in 1919, I can only say that, as a maternal descendant of the Montgomeries, I'm glad my ancestors left the place, and I can certainly sympathize with the Germans, for once.

Kate said...

Hrmph. I've never been anywhere that exotic.

Not even California.

Raspberries at you. phhhhtt.

carrster said...

Sounds like some great trips!

I could use a break myself...*sigh*