Saturday, January 10, 2009

Oscar Recalls?

(Via Althouse) Entertainment Weekly has done something very interesting. They've polled a number of Hollywood types in order to revote for the acting, directing and Best Pictures from 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25 years ago. The results (in any annoying gallery which has no purpose beyond page views) can be found here.
Included with the results are the percentage of voting totals. I've long wished that they would release the actual Oscar totals, so we could see how close some of the votes actually were. This isn't as good, but it's still interesting. I won't mention all of them, but a few are noteworthy.
Best Picture for 2003
LOTR: THE RETURN OF THE KING: 46%
Mystic River: 27%
Lost in Translation: 13%
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World: 10%
Seabiscuit: 4%
I'm sure this Oscar was a nod to the entire trilogy but it's a shame that it went to the worst one of the three. Five years later and the one I still watch is 'Lost in Translation'. If I ever do the 00's I'll come back to this.
Best Picture for 1998
SAVING PRIVATE RYAN: 46%
Shakespeare in Love: 22%
Life is Beautiful: 13%
The Thin Red Line: 10%
Elizabeth: 9%
One of the most controversial in Oscar history and yes, I'll agree with it. But I still think it's a shame that SIL has suffered the backlash. It's a very good movie and frankly much more rewatchable. It's hard for me to believe that TRL got 10% of the vote here.
They also decided that Roberto Benigni should've lost to Edward Norton Jr. I haven't seen American History X but Benigni played an incredibly difficult role. I can't think of another actor that could have pulled off 'Life is Beautiful'. That should count for something.
I hope they keep doing this. It should be fascinating to see how they vote for the wonderful movies of 1994.

2 comments:

Hans said...

Elizabeth was a terrible movie as well. I wonder what the vote totals would be if they could revote the entire year instead of just the five that were nominated.

Peder said...

I agree about Elizabeth and what a shame! That period has such potential and it was utterly wasted here.