Saturday, January 10, 2009

Playoff picks

Ok, so last weekend didn't go so well for me. I only went 1-3 while a flipped coin went 2-2. My only consolation is that I picked the closest game to a blowout correctly. Still, 8-3 is possible, right? (Per usual, the easiest way to make money is to go the opposite of these picks. Maybe next year I should see if I can pick 0-11. That doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility...)

Ravens (+3) at Titans
Home teams traditionally win 75% of the games in this round. They just had a week off and they also have the benefit of usually being the better team. The Titans aren't obviously the better team here. In fact, if the two teams played ten times at a neutral site, I'd be surprised if it didn't end up 6-4 or 5-5. Given the week off and home field advantage, I have to go with the Titans.

Cardinals (+10) at Panthers
Remember when the Cards were given up for dead a few weeks ago? Their appearance at NE was one of the single worst games I've ever seen a team play. They've been abysmal on the east coast this year. But on the other hand, I don't really trust the Panthers either. They've had poor games this year and for some reason I can see them being overconfident here. And that 10 points is a big number. I'll go with the Cards to cover but not necessarily win.

Eagles (+4) at Giants
Here are the two teams that the Vikes last faced so I do have some feel for them. Both of these are sexy playoff picks. The Eagles have been wildly inconsistent and the Giants seem to have peaked a month ago. Uh, I'll go with the Eagles, I guess but this really is a coin flip.

Chargers (+6) at Steelers
I realized something this year that didn't know before. I don't like the Steelers. No idea why and I can't give a good reason. Maybe this is just the prolonged sucess thing, I don't know. Anyway, I think it has driven me to irrationaly underrate them. That stops here and I'll pick the Steelers to blow out San Diego.

The coin:
Ravens
Cards
Eagles
Chargers

No comments: